Friday 19 February 2016

'Everybody enjoys bash'

 After a long break, Tumari Disha actress Chhavi Mittal returned to television with Krishnadasi on Colors channel.
Based on the prevalent traditions of devadasis, Krishnadasi is about Chhavi's Tulsi character, who wants to protect her daughter Aradhya (Sana Amin Sheikh) from the tradition.
Chhavi tells Rediff.com correspondent Rajul Hegde why she took it up, and also introduces us to her interesting web series. 
You have sung the title track of Krishnadasi.
Yes. I have been a part of music reality shows as a singer before. I have also done a Masters degree in Indian classical music. But I haven't pursued singing professionally.
Nothing could have been better than this opportunity in the show. 
I was told a day before the recording, so I told them to send me the track so that I could listen to it while doing my makeup, and in my vanity van. I was nervous but it went well, better than I had expected. Ashish Rego is the music director. It’s the title track for the three generations of characters in the show and I have sung for my portion. 
Why didn't you make a career in playback? 
My mother is a singer and a music lecturer. Actually, it’s in the genes. 
I started training at the age of four. There was a time when it was understood that I would grow up and get into playback singing.
But playback is not easy. Acting is easier.
During a short visit to Mumbai from Delhi, I realised singing is not my cup of tea. There is so much talent and struggle involved. After I forayed into acting, music took a backseat. 
Isn’t it amazing to be dancing, acting and singing in a show?
I just realised that (smiles). 
I am proud of myself. The character requires depth and maturity, and that was the most challenging part of the character. She is polite yet assertive. There is crying and dancing involved. I am a trained Kathak dancer but crying takes a toll on me.  
Honestly, till the show happened, I did not know Krishnadasis still exist or that there was a tradition like this. I knew about devadasis vaguely but I did not know what exactly it was.
When I became a part of the show, I did some research on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment