Monday 7 March 2016

Don't want to end my career this way...hope I'll be given another chance'

Maria Sharapova of Russia looks on during a practice session  Former tennis world number one Maria Sharapova said on Monday that she failed a drug test at the Australian Open due to a substance she has been taking the last 10 years for health issues.
The 28-year-old Russian, a five-times grand slam champion, tested positive for meldonium, which is used to treat diabetes and low magnesium, and was only banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency as of Jan. 1.
"I made a huge mistake. I let my fans down and I let the sport down. I have been playing since the age of four a sport that I love so deeply," Sharapova told a news conference in Los Angeles.
"I know that with this I face consequences and I don't want to end my career this way. I really hope that I will be given another chance to play this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment